History

History of Taylor

The history of the Taylor area begins in the summer of 1854 when the first pioneer families came to this part of Jackson County in their ox-drawn wagons.

In 1843, several families from the Telemarken, Norway area came to the United States for the better life. After three weeks on the lakes they arrived in Milwaukee

Among the colony at that time were three widows: Mrs. Helga Anderson Lunden, Mrs. Turi Tytegraf, and Mrs. Gro Nickelson, all who had lost their husbands in the epidemic (Malaria). It was these and their unmarried sons and daughters, who in the spring of 1854 disposed of their farms and left to seek a better life.

Banding togher they formed a caracan of several covered wagons drawn by ox teams, ad loaded to the very limit with household goods, provisions, and other necessities they began their journey.

The three widows, on aged forty-six, one aged fifty, and the ohter aged sixty years, walked all the way of that journey which took them seven weeks and two days.

On reaching Black River Falls they camped and rested. While in Black River Falls they young men heard of a fine valley twenty miles away, which had not been settled. It was decided while the rest remained in campe five of the men, Knut Lunden, Gunder Lunden, Gunleik Storley, Johannes Nichols and Johannes Tytegraf should investigate the possibility of the location. The beautiful valley so appeaed to them that they furried back to camp, and the whole party was on the trail again.

On the 15th day of July, 1854, this band of twentytwo grown-ups and one child grouped themselves about a spring on the SE 1/4 of the SW 1/4 of section 8 in the township 21, of the range 6 west, now part of the township of Springfield in Jackson Count. They arrived at what would called Mound Springs.

Their next move was to select land. The Lundens selected four hundred acres, paying one dollar and a quarter per acre. This land included the spring around which the company had camped the first night. The other chose such parcels of land as appealed to them, all within a mile or two of Mound Springs.

In the sumer of 1872 the Mound Springs area settlers noted a party of surveyors running a long through the area, but could no discover what was going on until later. The Green Bay & Lake Pepin Railroad had been soliciting aid from towns in the area to build a rail line and depot, however, Springfield Township did not pledge money for the railroad. By October 5, the progress of the rail line was moving along from Green Bay to Merrillan. Meanwhile a village side had been secretly purchased. P.R. Dunn sold 100 acres to the railroad in September 1873. A plot of a township to be called Taylor Station.

Their locomotive required stations to take on water every7 to 8 miles. They planned a station at Pole Grove (now Hixton) and another at Porterville (now Blair) but needed a station in between them. They built Taylor Station (named Moses Taylor) and this became the start of the present Village of Taylor. Since the railroad provided mail service, the post office was moved their in 1874.

Taylor Station became "Taylor" in 1895.

 

Additional Links:

http://www.greenbayroute.com/1980taylor.htm

http://www.greenbayroute.com/1944ett.htm

http://www.greenbayroute.com/page4.htm